I’ve got a feisty little 4th of July bevvie for you this holiday weekend! What’s more American–or more summer–than watermelon? This fun, festive drink incorporates superfood collagen and triples as a healthy elixir, cocktail and can even be made into a popsicle!
The unexpected part: collagen.
It’s my latest health obsession. First of all, what is it?
Collagen is one of the most abundant proteins found in animals and humans. It improves the elasticity of your skin and hair and makes up the connective tissue in your joints. Basically, it’s the glue that holds your body together.
As you age, your body’s natural collagen production decreases, which is why it’s beneficial to incorporate a collagen supplement into your diet. You can buy collagen peptides in powder form–and from a variety of sources–and blend into smoothies, juice or protein shakes. It’s essentially flavorless, which makes for easy blending!
Other health benefits of collagen:
- Digestion: collagen coats the digestive tract and strengthens your stomach lining. It reduces symptoms of leaky gut and other digestive disorders. It also helps with your body’s absorption and assimilation of nutrients.
- Bone/joint health: just like with hair, nails and skin, collagen improves the durability of your bones and joint mobility, allowing you to move with ease, without stiffness or pain. Oftentimes, swelling, stiffness or pain in your joints is an indication of collagen deficiency. In other words, it keeps everything in tact!
- Hormones: amino acids found in collagen support your body’s natural hormone production and help to create hormonal balance. It also helps regulate metabolism and energy output.
If you don’t already have a collagen supplement on hand, go get some ASAP! It’s available for purchase at most health food stores or you can order online. I included a link to my favorite brand, Vital Proteins.
Watermelon Collagen Cooler
Makes 1 pitcher
2 quarts seedless watermelon, cubed (about 3 lbs.)
1 bunch mint
6 scoops collagen peptides
1 1/2 limes, juiced
*1 cup vodka, tequila or rum (optional)
- In a high-speed blender, blend watermelon, mint (save a few sprigs for garnish), lime juice, collagen and liquor (optional).
- Serve over ice, garnish with mint.
- Option to freeze in a popsicle mold for a festive, summery treat!