Your body has powerful detoxifying superpowers that are happening all the time–your liver works hard every day to process toxins you ingest, and every time you sweat you eliminate toxins through your skin. However, with the amount of chemicals, EMR (electromagnetic radiation), heavy metals and other harmful substances you’re exposed to on a daily basis, taking extra measures to detoxify your body is extremely beneficial to your health and preventing illness and disease. Wouldn’t it be nice to feel light, whole and free in your body by integrating simple detox practices on a regular basis?
While cleanses are great, and in fact recommended on an occasional basis, you don’t need to do a full-on cleanse to promote extra detoxification. There are simple detox practices you can do on a daily basis that are inexpensive and highly effective in boosting your immune system. Consider incorporating one or a few of the following (it doesn’t have to be all at once) into your routine and see what a big difference it can make in your energy levels and immunity!
- Drink lemon water. Adding the juice of one lemon to a glass of water gives you more antioxidants and electrolytes than most nutritional supplements. It will keep you hydrated, energized and is a magic potion for fighting illness.
- Take activated charcoal. It traps chemicals in the body and allows them to be flushed out so your body doesn’t reabsorb them; it’s ideal for treating stomach bugs or gut infections. You can buy it in the supplement section of your grocery store for a low cost.
- Sit in a sauna for 15 minutes. It’s a passive way to sweat out toxins and burn calories, and is especially great for treating hangovers. Saunas also aid in weight loss, pain relief, relaxation and skin purification.
- Eat only fruits and veggies for a day. Mostly veggies, some fruit. You’ll get major relief if you feel bloated, constipated or sluggish from eating heavy foods or overindulging! A day of plant foods will help get you back on track.
- Take a hot yoga class. You get similar benefits to sitting in the sauna plus an invigorating workout!
- Take an epsom salt bath. Magnesium-rich epsom salts improve your digestion and reduce joint and muscle inflammation. Magnesium is readily absorbed through the skin when soaking in an epsom salt bath, whereas it can be difficult to absorb when ingested. Many people are deficient in magnesium and it plays an important role in multiple bodily functions, including the assimilation of over 325 enzymes.
- Get a colonic. The best way to describe a colonic is a flowing enema, where water flows through the colon to flush out fecal matter. It’s the best way to decongest your digestive tract, especially if you suffer from chronic constipation, IBS or other digestive disorders. It’s also a powerful cleansing tool if you take prescription meds, which are incredibly harsh on your stomach and intestines. Post-colonic benefits include weight loss, clear skin and improved digestion.
- Do a 24-hour digital detox. Computers, cell phones, microwaves, etc. pollute your body with radiation! You’re exposed to EMR on a daily basis, and unplugging periodically will work wonders on both your body and mind. Stress overload wreaks havoc on your body too–imagine a whole day without checking your email or talking/texting/gaming on your phone!